Thursday, February 19, 2009

Thursday, February 19th.

Where to begin??? --> hmmmm. ok..... hmmmm. I can't even find the words. Lets start with the flight into Lima. It was 5:30am and I was still thinking of America, that's right, America. I was thinking I'm on an American Airline, I'm comfortable, and I still feel sane. I was dreading the touch down into Peru where my new life will begin. I was thinking I miss Nasser, I miss my friends, and I miss my home.

As I heard the pilot annoucer overhead annouce our arrival, I opened my eyes and looked out the window. All I could see was clouds and couple moutain peeks. Then far off in the distance a small peak of light that could only be the sun welcoming me to Peru. It was the warmest welcome and by the time we hit ground the light had fully engulfed the city of Lima. I started a brief conversation with the man next to me who was on "Holiday" in Miami. He tried talking to me at the beginning of the flight and normally I would be very responsive but I was still nervous and uncertain of my decision to leave Chicago. After a few minutes of casual conversation he learned of my stay in Peru and gave me his card. He urged me to come up to Chiclayo and visit his city. He was very proud of his business and he began talking to me about his bean factory. It was funny to me but in actuality he makes a lot of money. Any Peruvian who goes to Miami for "Holiday" is a very wealthy man. I wish I had engaged in conversation with him earlier but I'm glad I slept. We exchanged contact information and parted ways at the gate.

As I made my way out of the terminal and into the street I had the toughest time finding my ride. Right now I was still one of those "gringos" who had a driver waiting for me upon arrival with my name posted to a big fat white board. I looked around the sea of taxi drivers and saw names like John Smith, Carrie Barker, Dave Taylor, and finally KAREEMA BAHAMOU! I found it. I ran up and tapped him on the shoulder. He looked at me and said rapido rapido! I was like, um. ok. He grabbed my big red suitcase and literally ran out to the curb, we jumped in his car and sped off like we were being chased by the cops. Seriously all I could think was holy shit slow it down buddy I'll pay you extra!

We zigzagged through tiny streets squeezed in between 2 feet gaps and almost ran over pedistrians. At some point I got used to it and reached in my bag for my camera. I could see him looking back nervously as I fiddled around with the dials. For as much as I could make out he said something along the lines as put that back in your bag or someone will grab it -- like literally reach their hand in a moving vehicle and snag it. So I put it away and thought this is wonderful -- mind you I'm staying in a hostel and I can't wait to see what that looks like... we arrive.

Again the driver jumps out of the car, grabs my big red suitcase, and runs to the hostel down the street. I was like F-that I'm walking. The hostel is gated with a video camera in front and big green button you have to press for entrance. We get inside and I'm greeted by Carlos and Alberto. As Carlos starts to gather all my information Alberto looks at me -- I can tell he's trying to make out what I am because clearly I'm not a gringo and only gringos stay at this hostel. I reach out my hand and introduce myself -- he knows english and smiles back. Finally he asked "what are you, nationales?" I laugh and say Morrocan and Indian. Then he goes "I like your hat, do you surf?" haha It's the most static conversation I've ever had but I answer "Thanks and no I don't but I'd love to learn." His eyes light up and in disbelief he says "really!" We talked for a bit until Carlos had gathered all my stuff and then it was time for him to show me my room. Alberto told me to meet him by the beach "Playa del Makaha" after I was done eating and getting ready he gave me directions but that didn't make a difference because I knew I was gonna cab it either way.

Carlos showed me to my all girl dormatory and it was 8am by this time so when I walked in two girls were sleeping. I tried to be quiet but Clarrissa woke up and greeted with a chirpy aussie "Goodmorning mate sorry for the mess." These girls had a wicked story and for those of you who are on my email list you know what I'm talking about but I wanna skip forward to surfing because that's where my story begins and I had a great day!

I met Alberto's cousins down at the beach. They were all suited up and looked they had been surfing all morning. Their skin dark and tough from all the equatorial sun, their feet rough from walking on the rocks (no sand beaches here) and they love life! I don't remember Alberto's cousins name but we sat and talked under his green tent for a while. His english was very broken and he tripped over a couple words but for the most part we were able to communicate. He was excited to know I was moving to Cusco and described it as heaven on earth. He said the only reason he's not there is because it's not by the ocean. Alberto's whole family lives and breaths the ocean. They are very humble people and despite the many gringos that come and go they have never had any desire to visit America or Australia. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of this experience because I didn't want my camera to get wet but I will go down to the beach tomorrow and try shooting around.

Alberto finally got done with his customer and was suprised to see me again. He said "you came!" I don't know what's so suprising but regardless I had a blast! We surfed for 2 hours and I never got a full wave which he calls The White Wash. But I was able to stand up on the board surf a couple bumps on my chest and spin in a 360. Nothing amazing but it was fun. We talked about Peru, the spainards, obama, bush, and capatilism. It was an intense conversation for a day at the beach but sooooooo interesting. He really needed to get back to work with other customers but wanted to take me to an authentic peruvian restaurant. So after the swim, soaking wet and tired, we got in his van and drove to Catalinas. An amazing family place by his house, not too far from the beach and about 20 minutes from my hostel. There were all locals there and I blend in like nobody's business. We sat down and ate our hearts out -- chicken, rice, soup, and big fat slice of cake all for 6 Solas which is the equivalent of $1.00. It was amazing!

During lunch he talked about this girl he was seeing from Australia. He had met her on one of their tourism tours to cusco. He was definitely in love with her and teared up at the thought of even talking about it. He said he couldn't handle all her drinking and smoking, it would break his heart. When Aussie's come to Peru they party like there's no tomorrow and they usually come for the drugs. You will rarely see a peruvian smoking hash or doing anything like that but they'll grow and they'll sell it - no problem. As he explained their 4 month love affair I couldn't help but to wonder why he was spilling his whole life to me. There was something very endearing in everything he said... and I was interested.

After lunch we went past his house. It was a quiet neighborhood and he pointed out his next door neighbors place because apparently 48 people live there and they're all related in like a 2 bedroom pad. It was nuts. As he ran inside to grab something I sat in the car and saw like 15 kids come outside that place. Some as little as 2 years old just walking around shoeless and dirty. I wish I had my camera!! It was so adorable. Peruvian kids look like little thugs. His mom came outside at one point and I thought it only respectful to come out of the car and say hello. She was a little lady with a lot of wrinkels and very smiley. I said Hola and gave her a kiss on the cheek which is pretty standard over here.

After that Alberto drove me back to the hostel. He's my first Peruvian friend and tonight we Salsa with Locals!

1 comment:

  1. Never knew you were a writer. Unique outlet for you. Sounds like good times.

    ReplyDelete