Monday, February 16, 2009

Monday, February 16 2009

It's 3 days before I leave for Peru and I thought I'd start this blog a bit early. I have to admit I'm feeling a little jittery like there's a bug crawling around in my stomach. I haven't packed yet and I'm trying so hard to soak up every moment of my comfortable life, here, in Chicago.

Last night my 2 best friends got together for a last hooray -- how many more times will they have to give me going away parties??? lol

As I look back on the last 6 months I realize that coming back to Chicago was the best thing I could have done... I've learned to appreciate everyone and everything in my life. New York was tough but I learned a lot and I feel like it gave me a stepping stone into Peru. I'm about to make myself a new home, new friends, and have new challenges. I know parts of this journey will be lonely and I expect to be homesick along the way but something inside me always welcomes this sort of self-discovery. The pain makes me feel alive, the experience makes me feel small, and the journey makes it all worth while...

I think I'm ready.

2 comments:

  1. Kareema! What are you doing in Peru? I didn't know you left the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teaching English for a year. Thought I'd try something different.

    ReplyDelete